Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Sanding Drywall

Sanding drywall is hard work, way harder than I expected.

Spence had to head back to the city Saturday night to make a 7 a.m. appointment the following day, so I woke up bright and early Sunday morning and got to work alone. I learned a few things:
  1. A dust mask is a must.
  2. Start with the ceiling because it's the hardest part and your arms will feel like jelly long before you get to it. This will make you wish you could go back in time and kick yourself in the ass for making the decision to save it for last.
  3. I can't stress the importance of this last one enough: have an amazing neighbour who wanders over at just the right time and asks if you need help. Take him up on it before he finishes his sentence. Thanks again, Mark!
So yeah. It took about 5 hours, but the guest room is sanded and ready for its coat of paint. We're two days behind schedule due to some unforeseen complications, but that's okay (did you know joint compound can take days to dry when it's -20C outside?).

I don't actually have a photo from during the sanding process because I couldn't gather the strength to lift the camera, so this one I took before starting will have to do. Just picture me covered in a thick layer of fine, white mud dust.


2 comments: