Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Week 12: Twin Pines

.: April 22, 2011 :.

On Good Friday the weather was chilly. We decided to take a one-day trip to meet our contractor. Despite it being a holiday he had kindly agreed to see us at his place. This was our first trip to the town he called home. We took our regular route and as we approached what would have normally been our turn, decided to go see him first before checking out Twin Ponds. So we continued up the highway, through "our" town, and proceeded along the road towards our goal. Al had given Spencer the address and as luck would have it, it was simple and easy to remember. It took about 20 minutes to get there and we concluded that Twin Ponds was equidistant to both Al's town and the other "major" town along what up to that point had been our traditional route.

About to come back to life 
It is worthy of note that the route to see Al meant driving through our town. We hadn't actually driven that way at all, so imagine our surprise when, as we were almost leaving the town that Sim saw an apartment building bearing the name Twin Pines! We got a good laugh out of the fact that they had obviously known for quite a while that one day we would be coming.

In any event as we entered Al's town we were pleased to see that the town had a wide selection of big box stores and most importantly, an A&W. We know what you're thinking, but beggars can't be choosers and given that we have nothing at Twin Ponds so far, those are exactly the stores we need. We found Al's place without any problem and as we pulled up he was working in his workshop. We chatted for a few minutes about the things we wanted to accomplish and a little of his family's history in the neighbourhood. It was actually quite interesting. We didn't want to take too much of his time, so we got ready to go, gave him the keys to the gate and the front door of the cabin (which was the real reason we went), and headed back to Twin Ponds.

Unlike our previous expedition this week's visit to the property was uneventful. The snow was all but gone and we had no problem driving along the path to the cabin. We let the dogs run around for a bit and while Spencer checked out the state of the chalet Sim visited the ponds. We only stayed about 40 minutes in light of the weather. It was nice to see that everything was in order. Having concluded the purpose of the visit we loaded the dogs in the back of the Subaru and headed back to Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment