Sunday, August 25, 2013

Almost lost and found

We found our camera! Turns out it was hanging on the back of a chair in the cabin the entire time. Unfortunately the black bag blended perfectly with the black chair and black guitar case immediately behind it so I didn't see it while I searched. Twice.

I never seem to be able to find big things when they're right in front of me. Camera bags, bags of flour, jars of peanut butter? Nope. "We're definitely out of peanut butter, Spence. Definitely. I checked."

You'd think my eyesight's going, but give me something nearly microscopic to find and I'll spot it in under five minutes. Friday night Spence knocked a small magnet off the fridge. It's a silver cylinder maybe 1/4" long and 1/8" wide. It bounced off his foot and was immediately out of sight. I spotted it in under 30 seconds. Yesterday small silver spring from a roofing nailer fell onto our gravel driveway. It couldn't have been bigger than 1/16" wide and maybe 3/16" long. I found it in under two minutes. It really makes no sense.

So yeah, roofing nailers. We're in the process of redoing our cabin's roof. The old roof doesn't have much time left in it and was installed without tar paper underneath. By my count there were three distinct layers of shingles plastered on it, perhaps an effort to make up for the original oversight, but more likely another shortcut used when the current roof sprung a leak. We spent a good portion of yesterday using a crow bar to remove it all before starting to install the new shingles over tar paper this time.

I'm starting to think life is trying to make some type of point about my eyesight because at one point our nailer jammed. While the guys were trying to fix it I was standing about 8 feet away searching some local stores' inventory since it looked like it needed to be replaced. Suddenly I hear a loud swoosh. I've always been a flincher and yesterday was no different. My eyes involuntarily clamped shut just as something hard smacked me on my left eye lid. Turns out one of the bolts on the gun snapped and the pressure from the compressor sent it hurling at me at an ungodly speed. Thankfully aside from a dull ache that lasted the rest of the day I'm completely fine.

I'm not sure what the message is exactly, universe, but it's definitely coming through.


1 comment:

  1. OMG to being hit in the eye. Scary business. Hurray for found cameras!

    ReplyDelete